Sunday 19 May 2013

Stand (on your hands) and be present

Handstand (Adho Mukha Vrkasana) has always struck fear deep into my belly. Anyone up for seeing how giving this pose a little attention during home practice might lead to interesting things?? I'll let you know how I get on - might be some funny pics to post at the very least!

Well, this morning a snatched ten minutes led to me working with handstand up the wall. Just taking that one leg away and extending it straight up to the sky made my belly spasm. 
The first time I tried it I felt sure I was going to fall, crash bang into the hard table positioned much too close by for my maverick limbs. But, hold on there one minute.... I didn't fall! 

Yes, I wobbled of course but there I was, 
with one leg extending bravely up to the sky, hands pushing firmly down, shoulders working like billy-o.

It felt good - belly spasms subsided enough for me to enjoy it and I feel ready and eager to try again tomorrow! 

I may not ever make it into handstand in the middle of the room with the grace and ease of Tara Stiles, but I'll give it my best shot and it's what I learn on the way up that's important. If I can be in the moment (with legs on the wall/one leg up etc etc) then I'm doing it. If I'm chasing the handstand and not appreciating where I am with it right now then I've lost it - my yoga has gone, fallen crash bang into the obstacle that is my ego. Ouch.


No comments:

Post a Comment